Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Introduction/Myspace Rappers


Aight BONG!
Welcome to the first edition of "Words from the porcelain God". My nepizzy one hunnit is lit, and im currently doing number two with my laptop on my...well lap. As I’m bumping Atmosphere’s "Yesterday", I thought I’d touch on topics that have been on my mind lately.
My first topic is about myspace rappers. If you feel your sent from God to raise mountains out of playgrounds, turn cats into cougars and spit, who am I to tell you you’re wrong? Right? RIGHT RIGHT! (some words from Cage’s "Agent Orange). I wanna know what happened to the artists who actually moved from their computer and worked for what they wanted. Instead, they sit around waiting for someone to listen to their tracks. During my daily checking of myspace bulletins, I came across a rapper with the usual "I’m better than your favorite rapper, I’m doing big things!" rapper. He was promoting his project. And was asking "who’s actually going to buy my cd so I know how many to press up because I’m defiantly trying to recoup" (quoted directly from said myspace rapper). So I listened to the artist’s music and surprisingly, it wasn’t half bad, quality was horrible, and wasn’t totally different from the other million of artists on this glorious social network of ours. I dug further deep into this artist’s page and noticed no show dates, no music vids, no show pics, NOTHING! Aren’t these usually things that an artist who’s asking for money or even promoting a body of work suppose to have? Or am I wrong in my wisdom of an old man at the age of 21 (shout outs to my 80’s babies!). If you don’t know me by now, I am an emcee. I’ve performed thousands of time in many different venues with an array of artists. Never have I promoted a project and asked how many people will purchase it. What happened to pressing up thousands of Cd’s, doing actual shows and giving some out for free? Has it come to the point where artists can sit on their asses and get fans that way? Fuck caring about how many albums you’ve sold, fuck your million of friends that probably aren’t bumping your music, and fuck caring if someone likes your music or not. Shouldn’t you as an artist be confident in your skills enough to not give a shit about other people’s opinions? Get over yourselves and put in the work that true artists do. "RAP IS SUTTIN YOU DO, HIP HOP IS SUTTIN YOU LIVE".

No comments:

Post a Comment